Sunday, January 8, 2017

Rogue Stars Character Cards

Rogue Stars from Osprey Wargames is a very new ruleset. As such, it's lacking a lot of material that would make it more gamer-friendly...including a Quick Reference Card for the game modifiers and Character Cards.

In lieu of a set of pre-made Character Cards, I made my own. These files were built in Apple's Pixelmator software.

My first set of characters for the game is a 200-point squad of Heavy-World Miners. I gave the squad "Hard to Kill" and armed most of them with shotguns (stats found on the group Facebook page). These guys were named after some of my favourite Raptor second-stringers.

The miners are led by Powell. Rogue Star characters have to be built between 30 and 70 points. Powell, at 46 has a pretty low cost for a leader...but that's the trade-off for having 5 guys in the squad. He's armed with a mining pick (Monowire Scythe), pistol and a small grenade.

Swag Daddy, second in command, checks in at 42 points. He has a shotgun and sword.

CoJo doubles as the squad's medic and chief technician.

Like all the shotguns in the squad, BeBe's is loaded with Dragon Breath rounds. They have a shortened range, but cause Scorch. That means when another model is hit, damage is automatically applied to the least armoured section of the target.

Caboclo rounds out the squad. Like BeBe, he has Chucker...which allows him greater accuracy when throwing his stun grenade.

OK, another game ready to go. Cards were printed an put in plastic sleeves to write on during gameplay.

'Til next time.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Rogue Stars...First Project of 2017

For the first project of 2017, I've decided to build some models for a ruleset I picked up over the holidays: Rogue Stars from Osprey.

Rogue Stars is a Sci-Fi skirmish game based around 3 to 6 figures that uses a mission/location/complication generator to create scenarios, which players can link into a campaign. In that sense, think of it as a scaled-down Necromunda.

For this first squad, I used some very nice multi-part models from Games Workshop.

They are built from the Neophyte Hybrids box for the recently released Genestealer Cults 40K line.

This week I also added to my growing collection of Dropzone Commander terrain, with another Blotz building. These are great to build during NBA games...particularly through the first 3 quarters while the Raptors are letting opponents build a small lead that they then overcome in an always-exciting 4th quarter. ;^)

'Til next time.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Painting is a 4-Letter Word...Episode 2

Here is the audio capture from our December painting night. In it, you'll get the latest opinions on the state of the hobby and gaming community from Mike Sawada, Ward Kapach, Tom Carter, Steven Lind, Barry Gergel, and myself.

Painting is a 4-Letter Word is intended to be listened to while you're working on your own hobby project and want some white noise going on in the background.

Happy New Year!

'Til next time.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Dropzone Buildings from Blotz

With my recent interest in Dropzone Commander, I figured it was time to start into some 10mm city terrain. I ordered a set of MDF buildings from Blotz in the UK, and they arrived just in time for Christmas. 

Here are the first four painted up (includes a carpark).

I got a set of 14 buildings...all at a reasonable cost: well less than $20 per building all in.

Assembly instructions for each kit are online. Convenient. And the instructions are very clear, with photos to aid in putting the parts together.

By the end of the first building session, three kits were done.

Elliot came over during the holidays for an introductory game. He had a set of the cardboard buildings, and a FAT Mat to play on. My new MDF buildings fit right in.

Dropzone is a good game, buy the way, if you haven't tried it. However, I believe that the biggest draw for the game is not its gameplay. It's the models and terrain. Lovely.

'Til next time.

Friday, December 16, 2016

Dropzone Commander...First Units

My buddy Elliot recently came into a large lot of Dropzone Commander miniatures. I traded him for a Scourge starter army, and painted it this past week.

This is the ground-based counterpart to the Scourge fleet ships I painted up for Dropfleet Commander last month. Here are the vehicles from the starter.

And the infantry.

And here, the dropships are loaded and ready for action. Looking forward to my first game of Dropzone.

Over a week ago, I finished up these accessories for the BloodBowl Skaven team.

Not sure what's going to take priority next on the table. We'll see.

'Til next time.

Friday, December 2, 2016

The Bagshot Gutsplitters: My Skaven Blood Bowl Team

Blood Bowl! With the new edition just out, I felt it was time to get into this classic game. I picked up the Skaven team box...and a week later, here's what's skittering off the painting table.

Nice models, easy to assemble, and pretty quick to paint up. A really nice decal sheet came with the kit as well.

Now, I'm just looking for my first Blood Bowl game.

'Til next time.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Dropfleet Battle Report

Elliot came over last night for our first game of Dropfleet Commander from Hawk Wargames. Quick battle report here...

'Til next time.