Saturday, February 4, 2012

Superbowl Chili

Besides playing games and painting miniatures, I like cooking. My wife and I enjoy food and we cook like demons a couple of times a week. Tomorrow is the Superbowl, and I always accept a big football game as the best excuse to make chili. What do football and/or food have to do with the hobby table. Nothing. No excuse...this is a blog post of my football day chili recipe. Enjoy!


Get out your crock pot. If you don't have one...get one! Easiest way to make a ton of great recipes.

Ingredients:
  • A couple of cans of diced tomatoes.
  • A couple of onions.
  • A pile of mushrooms.
  • A couple of peppers.
  • Meat...or meat substitute (my choice).
  • Chili powder.
  • Pepper flakes.
  • Cayenne pepper.
  • Other seasonings...like salt, pepper and so on.


After taking the picture, I realized I forgot to add in:
  • A can of black beans (I don't like kidney beans).
  • Garlic
  • A handful of frozen corn (no pic!)


1) Put the tomatoes, cayenne, chili powder, pepper flakes, salt and pepper into the cooker. Turn it on high.


2) I like to pre-cook the onions a little. In a pan with oil and butter. Add salt, pepper and any other spices you like. You can add in some minced garlic now too. Throw it all in the cooker.


3) I sweat the mushrooms over heat with some salt. This gets some moisture out of the mushrooms. Throw them in the cooker.


4) Brown your meat (or in my case...brown the meat substitute. Add some chili powder and pepper. Throw the meat in the cooker.


5) To the cooker, then add your diced peppers (red and yellow look good), and a handful of frozen corn. Put the lid on the cooker and leave it for six hours. The superbowl starts at 6:30 EST tomorrow...so you could start this recipe at noon, and you'd be good to go for the game.


Since you're going through the trouble to make chili...get some nice French bread to go with it.


Into the bowl with it! Add some sour cream and grated cheddar. Enjoy!


I've got $5 on the Patriots, and I'm giving 3 & 1/2 points to Scott at work. Fingers crossed! Hope you like the game and the chili!

'Til next time...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE chili and the SB. Yours looks awesome.

    Pats all the way! Even though 3.5 is generous....I'd take it cuz:
    a) Brady never has two bad games in a row.
    b) Belichick is one crafty bugger.

    ReplyDelete